Thursday 6 March 2014

My Bass Setup

Here is a quick look at the equipment i use for my lure fishing for bass. I have used a variety of tackle over the years but just recently settled on this lot and its an excellent setup for the fishing i do and the lures i use etc.

Rod
- Tenryu Injection SP73M Casting Weight 5-28g


  The Rod i use for most of my Bass Fishing is the Tenryu Injection SP73M, it is 7' 3" long and only 135g in weight. The rod is quite short but has a lot of power in at the base but still that fast tip action which makes working my lures, especially surface and soft plastics, great fun. The lightness of the rod means i can carry it and cast it continuously during a session and not put strain on the joints, the whip of the rod when casting makes lures fly out. The casting weight is 5-28g, perfect for the lures i use, i rarely have a lure over 1oz (28g) with the Patchinko 2 (27g) the heaviest bass lure i use. The great thing about the range of casting weight is that i can switch from a relatively heavy hard plastic lure to a small soft plastic and work them equally well.

Reel
- Daiwa Caldia Mag Sealed 2500



The Reel i use for my Bass fishing is the Daiwa Caldia Mag Sealed 2500, the reel weighs 225g and it very compact and balances well with my rod. The spool can hold a surprising amount of braid for its size, more than enough need for casting and playing fish. The reel is mag sealed which prevents any salt water entering the inner working of the reel to minimize rust over a long period of time. The drag system is very smooth and i regularly use it in preference to back winding which others may prefer.

Braid 
- Daiwa Tournament 8 Braid 20lb Green



I have switched from mono-filament to braid for all my lure fishing now, whether it be Pike, Perch or Bass because with braid you get no stretch so you can feel whatever the lure is doing, braid is also thinner than mono so you can get more line on your reel and further casting distance. I have chosen this Daiwa Tournament 8 in 20lb class for my bass fishing, i don't remotely think that i will catch fish 20lb+ on this line but i use this strength to prevent snap offs on boulders and casts during a session. The bright green colour enables me to follow where my lure has gone when casted which, in turn, helps me retrieve the lure accordingly.

Leader
- YGK Nitlon DFC Fluorocarbon 16lb


For me, a fluorocarbon leader gives me more confidence than my bright green braid straight through so i choose to tie on this 16lb leader, about 4-5ft of it. I know anglers than don't use it and i also know anglers that do so its not essential but just personally gives me more confidence, and i think confidence has a lot to do with success in fishing. A good leader knot is needed if you are to use fluorocarbon and the knot i use is the one shown, i think its called the 'GT Knot' but another popular knot is the 'Albright Knot'.

Lure Clip
- Delalande Agrafe Rapide 














For me, a lure clip is great for my fishing, i can change lures very quickly without the hassle of tieing a new knot to my lure. This can sometimes be the difference between catching a fish and not, i have had many instances when you see a fish surfacing and attacking prey and you happen to have a fast sinking soft plastic lure on when a surface or shallow lure is what you want in that short moment, the clip allows you to switch very quickly and make the most of the situation. This specific lure clip, the Delalande Agrafe Rapid, is a very compact clip but is also strong so makes it great for bass fishing.

Thankyou for Reading, Sam Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment