Tuesday 25 March 2014

Modified SG 4-Play Brings a Pike in the Rain GoPro 3+ Video

  I saw the wind had dropped today and spotted a brief gap in the drizzle so i headed up to my local water for a bit of piking. I got there and the rain was holding back and the surface of the water was calm and flat so i thought i give it a go with a surface lure, the Spro BBZ Jr 6". I cast across a shallow bay and began to retrieve the lure slowly across the top with a few pauses and twitches in hope of a fish.
  Half way through the retrieve and i was twitching the lure on the surface when it got smashed! i waited for a split second to feel the weight of the fish then i struck... missed it. Gutted!

  I decided then to change over to a favorite shallow lure of mine, the Savage Gear 4-Play 19cm. I chose to use the Fire Tiger pattern as the rain had coloured up the water a bit so this would give a pike the best chance of spotted my lure. I make a slight modification to my 4-Play lures when i'm fishing in shallow water, just by removing the middle mounted hook and split ring, it enables the lure on or just below the surface and has worked really well for me over the years.

Savage Gear 4-Play 19cm Fire Tiger Middle Hook Removed
  The rain returned as a moved down the bank but i continued to fish close to the surface with the 4-Play. I cast the lure back along the reed line i'd just walked past, about 10 feet out and began to slowly retrieve the lure.. Bang! Fish On! the pike had taken the lure very short into the retrieve so was a way out. This pike had a little more weight to it than others i'd caught recently and when i eventually got it in, it had a very fat belly.




My prize for braving the rain was a nice chunky Pike around 5lb..

Thanks for Reading, Sam Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment